SDBM: Our Causes
SKIN DEEP Behind the Mask’s primary objective is to support, empower and enable individuals living with skin disease (along with their families and carers) to help manage their condition and live a fulfilling life.
In particular, we focus on providing integrated services that help people to self-manage their skin condition, improve overall wellbeing and increase their quality of life. The quality of life of people with skin diseases such as psoriasis, atopic eczema and acne can be significantly impaired, such impairment can be greater at times, than life-threatening conditions such as cancers.
SDBM is the only UK charity, which supports people with all types of skin disease.
SDBM is working hard to raise funds in order to provide the following core services:
Potential Benefits & Impact
- Increased awareness of skin conditions and how to manage and if possible prevent them and where to get help;
- Help people cope with the psychosocial effects of skin disease;
- Improve the Quality of Life of skin disease sufferers;
- Empower sufferers of skin disease, through educational strategies, in managing their skin conditions;
- Encourage peer support and sharing of experience;
- Reduce the incidence and effects of secondary diseases and conditions;
- Reduce isolation, improve social inclusiveness and integration;
- Improve employment prospects;
- Prioritise the goal of achieving and maintaining healthy skin for all;
- Increased expenditure on Dermatological research, such as into new vaccinations and treatments; and
- Reduce deficiencies in primary care dermatology.