Awaken Awareness: SKIN
Creative Brief (Art, Fashion, Textiles)
The prevalence of skin disease exceeds that of obesity, hypertension and cancer, but for too long its cause and impact has been overlooked. Despite skin being the largest organ of the human body, dermatological research remains one of the most under-funded areas of medicine.
Background: SKIN DEEP Behind the Mask (SDBM) is a non-profit making organisation and registered charity (RCN: 1153203). Run by volunteers, it has been set up to help educate and raise awareness of the difficulties and obstacles faced by skin disease sufferers, their families and carers; as well as to help provide support and better understanding of skin disease. SDBM is unique as it is the only UK charity concerned with all skin diseases. It is estimated that around 8 million people in the UK are suffering with skin disease.
Many skin disease patients suffer from bad body image, which leads to psychological stresses. Media images may have a role to play in body dissatisfaction. Comparisons between the self and media ideals of attractiveness creates dissatisfaction and “shame”. For a skin disease sufferer it magnifies in their mind, what they think are their body imperfections. The purpose of our awareness events is to help remove self-imposed limitations, which can often occur due to societal pressures.
SDBM is inviting Creatives to showcase at our Masquerade Fashion Ball & Art Exhibition to raise awareness of skin disease (date to be announced). The event will be held at a top London venue and we are confident in getting significant publicity for the show and the designers/artists involved.
We also welcome sponsorship of submissions should any designer/artist wish to contribute to our Auction at a later date to raise much-needed funds for the charity.
Theme 1: Skin – Explore skin texture, skin cells, healthy skin as well as skin, which has been affected by skin disease.
Theme 2: Affects and feelings of how skin conditions impact a sufferer. E.g The below quote is being used to create an installation. It can also be used as a starting point for other productions.
“Your skin is burning and stinging as if it is being burnt by hot flames. At the same time imagine that splinters of glass are being injected into your body. Now try to imagine your state of mind. If you can’t, then visualise a room full of tangled wires, and you can’t find your way from one end of the room to the other.”
Objectives: There will be 3 components and work can be created using any theme. Contributors can choose to submit pieces for a single group or choose to submit articles for each component.
- Textile Art: To design and produce a fashion garment and/or mask/headpiece or piece of Art Work using Textiles and Mixed Media
- Fashion Design (for Men, Women or Children): To design and produce a wearable, functional and practical garment. Fabric must give sun protection as well as coverage to the skin. Explore natural fibres and fabrics, which are skin friendly, which does not cause irritation and is sensitive to irritable skin. Hats/headpieces can also be explored to give shading and protection to the face, but it is not a prerequisite.
- Art: “Awaken Awareness” of the ramifications of skin disease using Mixed Media, Textile Art, Installation, Sculpture, Painting, Print, Photography, New Media.
Constraints: Your creativity and imagination are your limitations
- 3rd June: Deadline for submission of Mood Boards and Design Concept
- 17th June: Designers and Artists will be shortlisted
- 20th-30th June: 10 Runner-up submissions will be put to a public vote on social media from which the top 3 will be chosen to join our selected shortlist.
- 26th August: Progress report to be given either by images or written text via email.
- 25th November: All work must be completed.
(there may be flexibility in completion date pending confirmation of event date)
Models: The charity will be contacting modelling agencies, but designers are permitted to use their own models to ensure correct fitting of garments, should they choose to do so.
All work to have documented inspiration for finished article as well as background story of what their piece is representing and origins of ideas.
As well as awareness events in the UK, we will be showcasing work internationally. All selected Designers and Artists must be prepared to loan their work to the charity for exhibit for up to 24 months from the date of our Masquerade Fashion Ball.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with category of submission in subject bar.